Title: Artisan Baker
Department: Troubadour Bakery
Reports to: Bakery General Manager
The Artisan Baker will develop and produce artisan breads and artisan laminated pastries while following in Troubadour’s mission, goals and values.
- Ensure that all bakery areas and equipment are safe and sanitary in accordance with food handling procedures; keep area clean throughout shift and follow cleaning procedures at end of shift.
- Accurately follow formulas in the preparation of all dough correctly and safely utilize all mixing, lamination and baking equipment.
- Precisely scale, shape and score loaves. Assure finished baked products meet quality standards.
- Mix, mould, prepare, and bake pastry shells as required.
- Maintain correct inventory, recommend replenishment orders and properly store, date and rotate inventory items.
- Organize ingredient storage and all supplies and equipment.
- Works in accordance with all federal, state, and local safe production facility requirements.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to understand and carefully and accurately carry out oral and/or written instructions and to request clarification when needed.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Perform physical activities in a variety of environmental conditions that require moderate to maximum strength lifting and handling of materials weighing up to 55 lbs.
- Familiarity with the safe operation of all bakery equipment.
- Ability to accurately measure ingredients.
- Ability to accurately judge proofing time required by different breads.
- Ability to accurately assess the effect of changes in the environment on the production schedule and take appropriate action.
- Ability to shape and score dough to allow for maximum volume and “eye appeal.”
- Ability to make and work with laminated dough.
- Ability to “multitask” within a baking cycle.
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
- 3+ year’s industry experience shaping, scoring and baking European style breads. Culinary school degree desirable but not required.
- Minimum 1 year experience with sourdough, liquid or stiff levain, poolish, sponges and rye starters preferred.
- Minimum 2 years creating and baking laminated dough and viennoiserie preferred.